[tulip] Compile errors with 2.2.16-21

David Shochat shochat@acm.org
Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:16:40 -0400

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, David Shochat wrote:
>
> > I upgraded my kernel to 2.2.16-21 (to solve a video problem) and now
>
> What exactly do you mean by "2.2.16-21".

It was indeed from RedHat but I didn't realize it had anything to do
with 7.0 or kernel 2.4. I got it because I am trying to get an agpgart
module that will work with the Intel i815 (video) chipset (not in the
normal kernel distribution until 2.3.something). This is from what they
call the "rawhide" series if you look at one of the RedHat FTP mirrors.

I just checked the 7.0 branch and it appears that RedHat 7.0 actually
has kernel 2.2.16-22. So it is very plausible that they both have the
"amusing" property of having the wrong headers. Why did they get it
wrong twice?

Based on your tip, I checked /usr/include/linux and asm and was
surprised to see that my symlinks to /usr/src/linux/include/linux and
asm had been replaced by actual directories (!) as a result of
installing the "kernel-headers" package. Acting on a hunch that the
actual source tree for 2.2.16-21 had the correct headers, I renamed the
2 directories in /usr/include and put back the symlinks. And Voila.
tulip compiled (and works). Thanks to you and Ajay for responding.

Finally, does this mean that tulip cannot (currently) be compiled in a
2.4 environment?

-- David