[tulip] Recognizing the new driver at bootup

Phil Barone pbarone@cfl.rr.com
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 09:42:48 -0500

I'm tellin you! I am helpless.

Edited /etc/sysconfig/network: NETWORKING=yes
Created in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts called ifcfg-eth0 like suggested.
Did /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

Network seems to have come up as i can now ping around. Yea, minor skirmish
won.

I ran netcfg or the network option from control-panel, can't remember which
and now can't get any graphical displays. I have three terminals up but am
afraid to reboot cause it looks like my DISPLAY is set wrong. I have tried
setting DISPLAY to my IP address and still the display doesn't come up.

Somehow I have not the right configuration of hostname, can't run netcfg as
it is graphical can anybody tell me what files should contain what?

1.) my domain is taken from my Roadrunner Cable modem domain, 'rr.cfl.com'
2.) I selected some random name for the hostname, say for example 'idiot'.
3.) Using the hostname command I have :# hostname idiot
4.) There is a file in etc called HOSTNAME: it contains: idiot
5.) I added an entry in /etc/hosts with my ip address I got from the dhcp, I
know this changes so not sure what needs to be done here. anyway it looks
like this:
            xx.xx.xx.xx idiot.cfl.rr.com idiot

Anything else I need to check here?

Thanks again.