[tulip] Re: Kingston

Christopher E. Brown cbrown@denalics.net
Mon, 22 May 2000 15:40:24 -0900 (HADT)

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Homer Wilson Smith wrote:

> > 	What Kingston card?  I have had zero problems with the
> > KNE100TX units.  The later ones (21143 based) require a .91 driver,
> > but thats it.  I have > 100 used (20 somthing are 21143), and about 15
> > of the 21143 units are talking to cisco switches.
>
>     I am using KNE100TX with 21143 connected to cisco 1900,
> 10baseT forced full dup.  The card won't auto negotiate, but
> can be 'forced' into various Fd modes through the options=command.
>
>     Most of the FD modes don't work at all, some do work, but statistics
> on the Ciscos show lots of runt frames and very slow throughput, the usual
> signs of the card being in half duplex and the Cisco being in full.
>
>     This behavior is replicateable with the 21140 by actually
> putting them in half duplex while the cisco is in full dup.
>
>     The 21140's work properly providing 1000Kbyte/sec throughput
> between two linux boxes in FD mode options=16.
>
>     The Full dup green light never turns on in either card,
> but we are very happy with the performance of the 21140's.
> Alsa they are no longer avialable.
>
>     If I am doing something stupid here, I would dearly love
> to know because we are very dedicated to the Kingston 2114x's
>
>     Homer

	Am very confused here, I have been using the KNE100TX units, 1
- 4 per box for some time.  When the 21143 units started arriveing it
was fun, but as soon as I switched from 89h everything was happy
again.  I checked, the 15 21143 KNE100TX cards are talking to Catalyst
2900 series units.  All drop straight into 100FD, and more than a few
hold 80Mbit+ each way during office hrs (Linux based filtering
firewalls, and MASQ boxes).

 ---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.