setting 100baseTx-FD

Eric Pop epop@stanford.edu
Fri May 12 13:48:48 2000

> One of the changes to the v92 (vs. 91g) driver is paying stricter attention
> to the forced media type flag on the 21143, while still using the EEPROM
> media table.  I would normally recommend that you try v92, but the best
> solution is to just not force the media type.

So... should I give v92 a try?  If the EEPROM is reporting only 10baseT media
types then that won't do me any good, will it?

> Ahhh, this might be a problem.  The 21143 media table only has 10baseT
> types!  The driver *was* doing the best that it could.  Does your card
> really support 100baseTx?

Well... that's what it was advertised as.  Though on the other hand I have
to admit that my machine is one of those Compaq's with everything (e.g sound
card, video card and ethernet) integrated onto the motherboard.  So I don't
really know what kind of "card" it is, except for the fact that in Windoze
ControlPanels/Network/NetworkComponents I see two relevant items listed:
"Compaq NC3120 Fast Ethernet NIC" and "Intel 21143/2 based 10/100 mbps
Ethernet Controller".

> It's possible to force the setting, but the correct solution is to find out
> why the EEPROM is reporting only 10baseT media types.

Is there a way I can find out *for sure* if this card really supports 100mbps
Ethernet?  If so and if the EEPROM settings are funny -- can I rewrite them
and still convince the card to operate at 100mpbs-FD?
Btw, I don't know if this offers any more clues, but as soon as they switched
my network to 100mpbs capability on Monday morning my connection went down.
I wasn't able to reestablish it until 48 hours later (doh!) when after many
trials and error I upgraded the tulip driver to v0.91g (from the original
v0.89H that came with RedHat6.1).  I wonder what changes between the two
driver versions made my network connection possible again?!

Finally, here's the relevant part of /var/log/messages when the machine boots:
kernel: tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
kernel: eth0: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 65 at 0x2000, 00:40:D0:0B:40:74, IRQ
10.
kernel: eth0:  EEPROM default media type Autosense.
kernel: eth0:  Index #0 - Media 10baseT (#0) described by a 21142 Serial PHY
(2) block.
kernel: eth0:  Index #1 - Media 10baseT-FD (#4) described by a 21142 Serial
PHY (2) block.

Thanks in advance for any other thoughts.
-Eric