Prolems with tulip driver

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed May 10 16:13:32 2000

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Chris Leavoy wrote:

> It was my first time posting to a mailing list, could you tell? ;)
>
> anyways i think i should give it another try.
>
> >> I have recently purchased a Network Anywhere NC100 v2, Linksys Fast
> >> Ethernet 10/100 from future shit. I am having a whole bunch of problems
>
> >This obviously isn't a Linksys card.
>
> It says Linksys right on the box, driver disk, and on the chip.  This is a
> brand new card mind you,  I think Linksys merged or split with another
> company called Network Everywhere,  networkeverywhere.com

This is very surprising -- we just bought a bunch of Linksys 5 port
switch kits, and each box came with a pair of PNIC-II cards with very recent
dates.  I didn't think they would be changing chips.

> >> kernel: eth0: interrupt  csr5=0xfc274014 new csr5=0xfc264010.
> >> kernel: eth0: exiting interrupt, csr5=0xfc264010.
>
> >That looks like normal operation.
>
> That error message is put out on the screen at the fastest rate at which my
> system can handle it.  I seriously doubt that is normal considering that it
> continues for 2 minutes after i have stopped transfering of a 1meg or so
> file.  Now the part i forgot to include in the other message was that after

You turned debugging on, and didn't enabled write-behind in the
/etc/syslog.conf.

> a few minutes of transfering data over the card the system would hang.   I
> would check syslogd and it reported that the kernel has paniced.  I read up
> a few lines more and i get an error message saying, "unable to handle paging
> requests to virtual address 0xfc264010" or something close to that, i cant
> get a print out of it because the system requires a hard reboot after this
> happens.

What process died?  Try running ksymoops.
This doesn't sound like a typical Ethernet driver problem.

I just tried my Comet PCI card and it seems to work fine.  I'm in the
process of putting a bunch of packet through the system.  I have about a
million packets through it so far, and I'll run it overnight.

I have updated the v92 tulip driver to correctly handle the built-in MII
transceiver of the Centaur (Comet on CardBus), but the change is minor so
I'll wait for a few more changes before doing a new test release.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210
Annapolis MD 21403