Linux 2.2.14 and FA310TA cards

Chris Martin chris.martin2@btinternet.com
Sun May 7 13:56:13 2000

On 26 Apr 2000, Chris Martin wrote:
> I have two FA310TX cards, one in a 150 MHz Pentium machine and the
> other in a 600 MHz dual Pentium III machine linked by an FE104 hub (a
> Netgear FB104 starter kit).
> No problems were reported when I tested the connection under DOS using
> the DIAG.EXE on the diagnostic disk.
>   53 packets transmitted, 21 packets received, 60% packet loss
>   round-trip min/avg/max = 0.3/0.3/0.3 ms
> While pinging the slow machine from the fast machine shows
>
>   51 packets transmitted, 23 packets received, +10 corrupted, 54% packet loss
>   round-trip min/avg/max = 0.2/0.2/0.2 ms
> The corrupted packets show an output like
>
> 64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=40 ttl=255 time=0.2 ms (BAD CHECKSUM!)

Donald> So you are getting corruption either in a switch (but you have
Donald> a repeater, so rule that out) or on the PCI bus or memory
Donald> system.

I have now tested it further and, using Tom Oeser's tomsrtbt (2.0.37,
tulip.c 0.90 10/20/98) the packet loss rate drops from 50% to 20% on
both machines but the corruption remains on the fast one.

However, replacing the Netgear hub with a 3Com 10mbit hub cures the
problem completely -- ping is 0% packet loss and ftp gives ~824 Kb/s.

Does this mean that the Netgear hub is faulty or does it just mean
that the cards work OK at the lower speed?