Light-On pnic hang?

Geoffrey Wossum gpw0341@omega.uta.edu
Sat Mar 18 12:36:49 2000

Todd,

> We have three machines all using the amd K6-3 and an fic motherboard using
> the via chipset .. and when doing large ftp or other network transfers the
> machines lock up until we bring the ethernet down and back up .. aka
>
> 	/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop
> 	/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start
>
> We are wondering if there are any other similar reports?  It looks very
> much like a dma transfer glitch in the motherboard, but just wanted to
> ask before reaching any conclusions...

I have the same problem with a Netgear FA310TX card (Lite-On PNIC based)
with an ASUS TX97-E motherboard (430TX chipset).

My eventual solution was to go and get a new $15 10/100 card at Fry's.
The new card works great.  SMC EZNET-10/100.

BTW, the computer I'm writing this email from now, also uses a FA310TX
card and works great.  It has an ASUS P3B mainboard (440BX chipset).

---
Geoffrey Wossum
gwossum@acm.org
Project AKO - http://rover1.uta.edu/~ako