[tulip] Tulip driver "no link test" mode?

Joshua Horvath jmhorvat@home.com
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 12:38:59 -0500

I'm trying to get my cable modem working under Linux but I need to disable link
beat checking to get it working.  The NIC I was provided with is the SMC 8432T
with the 21041 chip.  When I try to bring the interface up, I get a message
saying no link beat, switching media to 10Base2... Under windows, the driver has
to be set to something like "10BaseT-no_link_test" to work correctly.  Is it
possible to do this with the tulip driver?  I tried mucking around with the code
(v0.92) without much success.  I have a feeling the changes I made broke other
functions in the driver.

On a side note, my cable modem (Motorola CyberSURFR Wave) has a PC light which I
assume lights when the NIC is initialized and starts talking to the cable modem
(link beats?).  With the tulip driver included in RH6.2, once I insmod the
driver the light comes on.  With v0.92, I insmod the driver and the light stays
off... even though it looks like the driver loads ok (there are lines in
/var/log/messages that seem to indicate everything is ok).  Any clue why this
would occur?

Thanks,
-Josh