[tulip] Thousands of "System Error occured" errors

Brian Wallis brian.wallis@ot.com.au
Mon, 05 Jun 2000 11:37:32 +1000

I have a couple of 90MHz Pentium machines with Tulip based cards in
them and when booted with readhat 6.2 installed I keep getting error
messages of the form "System Error occured" whenever there is lan
access. The lan access is working but very slow (due mainly I think to
the logging of the thousands of error messages)

There are no other error messages to be found so I have no idea what
is actually going wrong.

The PCs are Siemens PCD 5H with PCI ethernet cards that have a chip
with a blue top and ZNYX printed on them. Output from tulip-diag is as
follows.

$ [root@cumberland wallis]# tulip-diag -aa -ee -mm -f
tulip-diag.c:v2.00 4/19/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Digital DC21040 Tulip adapter at 0xf800.
Digital DC21040 Tulip chip registers at 0xf800:
  fff88000 ffffffff ffffffff 00c3c010 00c3c210 fc660000 fffee002 ffffebef
  fffe0000 7fffff00 ffffffff ffffffff ffffffc8 ffffef03 ffffffff ffff0000
 Port selection is half-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit unit is set to store-and-forward.
EEPROM contents:
  c000 ec95 f09c c9cb cbc9 9cf0 95ec 00c0
  c000 ec95 f09c c9cb 00ff aa55 00ff aa55
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
 ID block CRC 0xa5 (vs. 00).
  Full contents CRC 0x1353 (read as 0xffff).
   No MII transceivers found!

brian wallis...		  Open Telecommunications, Melbourne
<brian.wallis@ot.com.au>  Phone: +61 3 98434891
http://www.ot.com.au/     Fax:   +61 3 98991890
		Carpe Aptenodytes!