[tulip] lne100tx v4.0 NOT as a module

Jim McQuillan jam@McQuil.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 22:17:58 -0400

Hello,

I'm trying to build a kernel with the tulip v0.92 driver
and I need it to NOT be a module.

I'm using the new LNE100TX v4.0 card from Linksys, that's why
I need the new tulip.c driver.

I am trying to boot the kernel via the network, using Etherboot,
then mount the root filesystem via NFS.

I've done this with lots of other cards, including earlier versions
of the LNE100tx.

I know that I could create an initrd and place the modules there
but I really didn't want to do it that way.

So far, I've placed the latest tulip driver in drivers/net.
Also, I've put the pci-scan.c, pci-scan.h and kern_compat.h
in the same directory.

I had to modify the Makefile to include the pci-scan.c file.

The kernel compiles and links successfully.

I then try to boot it, and it detects 8 ethernet interface cards
and then times out trying to send the BOOTP request.

All the messages I could find on Deja.com show people loading the
driver as a module, and I haven't found anything on compiling
it statically.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim McQuillan