[tulip] What kind of throughput...

Eric Jorgensen alhaz@xmission.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:18:05 -0600 (MDT)

> ...should be expected from a full duplex 100Mb link?  I realize that MANY
> things factor in and I'm not really looking for exact numbers, just a
> general idea.  For instance, ftping a file from Linux to Win2k, I get around
> 7MB/s or 56Mb/s.  Is that good?  Anyway to get it better?

	FTP is a poor test. So is a beta operating system from Microsoft.

	in clean tests (ie closed segment, nothing else going on) with the
.92 driver, I was able to acheive 93mbps regularly using lite-on based
Netgear cards.

	ttcp is very popular, personally i prefer netperf. go look at
www.netperf.net -- it's a network throughput testing daemon maintained as
free software by hewlett packard.

 - Eric