Macronix MX98715 can't be set to 100baseTx-HD with tulip-driver?

Fuzzy Fox fox@foxtaur.com
Fri Jan 21 01:35:52 2000

Chris <chris@hinterlands.com.au> wrote:

> I have had the same problems with a similar setup, but the Hub
> I'm using is a 100BaseTx only. So I can't see how it is supposed
> to work at 10mbps as all the 10baseT cards I have tried using
> on this Hub fail to work. The duplex issue has caused problems
> too, as I seem to always be in FD.

I don't have the MX98715, but I do have an old MX98713-based card, and
the "options=3" setting does it for me (half-duplex, 100Mbit).  I'm
using the same setup as you, with a 100Mb-only hub.

> I was using options=3 for a while on all our Linux boxes, but the
> network would dissappear on heavy loads.

Interesting, I have another card, a Netgear FA310TX (NGMC169 MAC), which
exhibits exactly the behavior you describe; the network performance will
be zooming along great, and then suddenly the card disappears completely
and has to be ifconfig'd down/up in order to start responding again.

The Macronix card doesn't show that behavior, but it drops off the net
irregularly for no apparent reason.  I just can't get a good network
card, it seems.

--
   fox@foxtaur.com (Fuzzy Fox)     || "Good judgment comes from experience.
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  Experience comes from bad judgment."