[tulip] mandrake 7.1

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:12:27 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Uday Kallianpur wrote:

> I am having trouble with the card. i followed these instructions.

What card are you using?
Where did you get the instructions?

> Linux kernel version 2.2.x

> Log in as root, admin, or superuser and type this at a terminal prompt:
> mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Hmmm, they should have used 'mcopy a:/linux/tulip.c ...'

> cp tulip.c /usr/src/linux/net/inet

Wow, that's pretty bogus.
That directory was in the include path only to support the old v1.0 kernel
series.  I still get 1.2.13 bug reports, but it's been years since anyone
has run even 1.2.13, and certainly v1.0 with a PCI driver is unlikely.

You can put the source file in any directory that you choose, preferably in
something obvious such as /usr/src/drivers/

> Compile the tulip.c file with the compile command:
> You should now have a file called tulip.o in the same inet directory, you
> must copy the tulip.o file to the proper directory within Linux so it can be
> loaded, and then activated.
> cp tulip.o /lib/modules/kernel_version/net

Before doing this, you should test the driver with
  /sbin/insmod ./tulip.o

> When I did depmod -a i get
> depmod: *** unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.15-4mdk/net/tulip.o

Try doing
 /sbin/insmod tulip
to find the names of the unresolved symbols.

> I am sure i compiled it okay i did not get any errors also I used the
> latest drivers from scyld.com. I do not know what else to do?? This is
> driving me crazy

Read
  http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html