[tulip] Too much work during an interrupt error..

Morrell, Mike A mike.a.morrell@appliance.invensys.com
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:28:45 -0600

I've had the same problem for a while now also. I have a K6-2/500 system as
a server with Macronics and Centaur chip based NICs. I was running Mandrake
7.2 with 2.2.17 kernel and driver 0.92p. I switched to Debian recently with
kernel 2.2.18 and driver 0.92 and the problem seems to be gone, although I
had to swap the Centaur card with my other machines Macronics NIC as v0.92
does not support the Centaur chip. When I had Mandrake running, I tried some
of the other test drivers, like l and m, but still had the same problem. I
have a feeling that it is probably the different kernel that makes it work
better. I never had this problem when I was running Mandrake 7.1 with 2.2.16
kernel and 0.92p drivers. Hope this helps some. BTW what driver version and
chipset on the NIC are you running?

Regards,
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: nord@virtualscope.com [mailto:nord@virtualscope.com]
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 3:13 AM
To: tulip@scyld.com
Subject: [tulip] Too much work during an interrupt error..

Hello,  I have been spending the last several hours trying to track
down a pesky glitch in my network that was causing odd behavior with
Windows NT -> Samba transfers (it doesnt look the there is a problem
with Samba -> NT).  After eliminating most of the probable elements that
might cause this, I decided to grab some new drivers for the Linux side
(Debian 2.2 running 2.2.17 btw).  After compiling and a reboot, I tried
to see if the problem persisted, and it did, only this time I some
info on whats happening due to debug being enabled, as follows:

Dec 22 02:17:14 dome-wall kernel: eth0: Too much work during an interrupt,
csr5=0x02670050.
Dec 22 02:17:24 dome-wall kernel: eth0: Too much work during an interrupt,
csr5=0x02678057.
Dec 22 02:25:34 dome-wall kernel: eth0: Too much work during an interrupt,
csr5=0x026f0050.
Dec 22 02:25:39 dome-wall kernel: eth0: Too much work during an interrupt,
csr5=0x02678057.

Now this happens at exactly the same time as odd NT behavior, which is the
mouse freezing for about 1.5 seconds and the transfer stopping.  Then the
trasfer resumes again in about a second.  Also, the system that I'm running
is an AMD 750mhz on an Abit KT7 motherboard.  Any info on how I should go
about resolving this very annoying problem would be great! Even if it's just
getting a new, different brand ethernet card..

Thanks