[tulip] LNE100TX... not solved

Erik Steffl steffl@bigfoot.com
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:53:01 -0800

Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Erik Steffl wrote:
> > 7.Mind your cabling. The EtherFast card must be connected with category
> > 5 RJ-45 cabling to a 100Base-TX hub, a standard 10BaseT hub, or an
> > autosensing 10/100 hub. It should never be directly connected to another
> > computer. Your RJ-45 cabling can be either straight-through or
> > cross-over, but cross-over cabling is neither supported nor recommended
> > by Linksys. Linksys recommends that pins 1, 2, 3, and 6 at the PC line
> > up pin-for-pin at the hub. If you need more information about cabling,
> > see our cabling guide here.
> >   how serious is this? I am kinda reluctant  to shell out >$100 for a
> > switch only to find out that it does not work anyway (as already
> > reported on tulip list in this thread). Is this general advice or
> > something specific to LNE100TX?
>
> Very odd, it implies that somehow LNE100TX NWAY does not work back-to-back
> with another LNE100TX card. Maybe this is a limitation of the windows
> drivers? Can you test back-to-back with Linux on both ends?

  the windows driver works. it's the linux driver that does not work.
there is intel 100/pro card on the other end of crossover cable though.

  shouldn't the crossover cable to another card and straight cable to
switch 'feel' exactly the same way for the card?

> > 9.Computers with Cyrix 686 CPUs. The bus speed on these computers may
> > have to be lowered from 75Mhz to 66Mhz (or lower).
> >   can anybody shed more light on this? The docs for my motherboard say
> > that default is 66.6MHz. Should I set it to lower value?
>
> This means that they don't want the PCI bus clocked over 33mhz, since PCI
> bus speed is derived from CPU bus speed.

  so that's basically a limitation of the card with cyrix processors
only? that kinda weird... still, the card works ok in win (on the same
machine) so I guess this is not my problem...

	erik