[tulip] LNE100TX... not solved

Dan Hollis goemon@anime.net
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:37:42 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Erik Steffl wrote:
> 7.Mind your cabling. The EtherFast card must be connected with category
> 5 RJ-45 cabling to a 100Base-TX hub, a standard 10BaseT hub, or an
> autosensing 10/100 hub. It should never be directly connected to another
> computer. Your RJ-45 cabling can be either straight-through or
> cross-over, but cross-over cabling is neither supported nor recommended
> by Linksys. Linksys recommends that pins 1, 2, 3, and 6 at the PC line
> up pin-for-pin at the hub. If you need more information about cabling,
> see our cabling guide here.
>   how serious is this? I am kinda reluctant  to shell out >$100 for a
> switch only to find out that it does not work anyway (as already
> reported on tulip list in this thread). Is this general advice or
> something specific to LNE100TX?

Very odd, it implies that somehow LNE100TX NWAY does not work back-to-back
with another LNE100TX card. Maybe this is a limitation of the windows
drivers? Can you test back-to-back with Linux on both ends?

> 9.Computers with Cyrix 686 CPUs. The bus speed on these computers may
> have to be lowered from 75Mhz to 66Mhz (or lower).
>   can anybody shed more light on this? The docs for my motherboard say
> that default is 66.6MHz. Should I set it to lower value?

This means that they don't want the PCI bus clocked over 33mhz, since PCI
bus speed is derived from CPU bus speed.

>   !!! one problem explained:
>   I have previously reported that when inserted in one particular PCI
> slot it would conflict with soundcard (ISA PnP) - that problem is
> explained: I have just found in motherboard docs that PCI 1 and ISA 3
> share external access position

It means that PCI slot 1 and ISA 3 share bus signals, and can't be used
at the same time.

-Dan