[tulip] Znyx ZX346Q Card Problems

Kingsbury, Michael mkingsbury@avayactc.com
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 15:35:27 -0500

I have a series of Linux based machines with the Znyx ZX346Q network cards.
We've upgraded the tulip driver to .92p on them, and we still are having
difficulty with them when the device at the other end is reset, the link
does not seem to be fully re-established.     A simple test comprises of the
following:

Favorite packet snifffer running on eth1, eth2 in promiscuous mode
Witness incoming & outgoing packets
Pull ethernet cable on eth1
Wait 5 seconds
Plug back in.

After this, we no longer see STP packets coming through the interface, while
we do see ICMP broadcast ping requests.

A simple 'ifconfig eth1 up' restores the state to prior to pulling the
cable, ie, STP packets are seen by the still running packet sniffe <OR> by
re-starting the packet sniffer.

I think its a problem with the promiscuous state being maintained while the
link is re-established, as I see messages to the effect of going into
promiscuous mode when the 'ifconfig eth1 up' command is run.

Any thoughts or is this a driver issue?

-mike