[tulip] Which Kernel Version match which Tulip. pci-scan, and kern_compatversions?

David Shochat shochat@acm.org
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:18:04 -0400

David Kramer wrote:

> Which Kernel versions use which versions of Tulip, pci-scan,and kern_compat.
> I am currently running Linux Kernel 2.2.14-12 and receive errors when
> testing the pci-scan.o Apparently it is looking for a different version of
> the pci-scan.h version .05.  I guess pci-scan was compiled for the wrong
> version of pci-scan.h.  I can only find version 1.0 of this file.  Is there
> a specfic kernel I should be running inorder to get the proper files to
> compile and install on the Kernel?  I am trying to install Linksys'
> Etherfast 10/100 card on a RedHat distribution.

I can offer a couple of data points. I have tulip source files as
follows:
kern_compat.h:
	$Revision: 1.5 $ $Date: 2000/07/05 16:23:25 $
pci-scan.h:
  version 1.00 $Version$ $Date: 2000/04/08 05:04:26 $
pci-scan.c:
"pci-scan.c:v1.00 4/15/2000  Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>"
tulip.c:
"tulip.c:v0.92 4/17/2000  Written by Donald Becker
<becker@scyld.com>\n";

These are simply the versions that were on the scyld ftp site when I
went looking for them. Using these, the code compiled without error
under a RedHat 6.2 system with original 2.2.14-5 kernel and also on one
with the kernel upgraded to 2.2.16-3 (compiled kernel and source all
obtained from RedHat rpm's).

I have two Linksys EtherFast 10/100 model LNE100TX version 4.0 cards,
one in each of the above machines and they are working fine with this
tulip driver. They would not work at all with the tulip.o that came with
those 2 kernels.
-- David