[tulip] TBD

Kenneth J. Hendrickson khendric@BluTie_linux.MLB.ESID.NorthGrum.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:45:01 -0400

Tulip Developers and Users:

I just bought four LinkSys 100Mbps ethernet interfaces.  One is a
PCMCIA, and works flawlessly.  The other three are PCI cards, and fail.

According to the LinkSys web site, the PCI cards are brand new (chipset)
hardware as of August 2000.  (They have new Windows drivers.)

I'm using version 0.93 of the tulip driver with the 2.2.17 kernel,
Debian distribution.

Here are the error messages:

# insmod tulip
Using /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/tulip.o
/lib/modules/2.2.17/net/tulip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
	including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

This happens with both the tulip driver, and also the de4x5 driver.

# insmod de4x5
Using /lib/modules/2.2.17/net/de4x5.o
/lib/modules/2.2.17/net/de4x5.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
	including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

It's obvious (from this error message) that the driver doesn't recognize
the card when it probes for it.

I've already downloaded
   kern_compat.h, pci-scan.c, pci-scan.h, tulip.c, and test/tulip.c
but now it's almost 5am, and I have to sleep.  :-(  I haven't played
with any of the fresh source yet.

Please advise.  I'd like to help make the driver work.

Thank you,
Ken Hendrickson