[tulip] Linksys NC100 v2.0 Transmit time out

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:27:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Jonas P. Valkiunas wrote:

> I've perused through the last few months of the scyld and other lists
> regarding the new Linksys NC100 v2.0 problem, but cannot find my specific
> problem.  Both srpm and individual tulip.c files compile without a
> problem, but as soon as I try to ping any ip (other than my own), I get
> the error:
>
> "eth0: Transmit timed out, status fc67c057, CSR120000000 resetting..."

IRQ conflict -- the chip is trying to raise an interrupt, and nothing is
happening.

Run 'tulip-diag' to verify.

> lspci show the already list mentioned Bridgecom ID, while logs show the ADMtek Comet, rev 17, using IRQ11.
>
> other interesting notes from lspci:
> "
> 00:1f.3 SMBus Intel Corporation 82801AA 82810 Chipset SMBus (rev02)
> Subsystem: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 2413
> Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
> I/O ports at efa0

If the BIOS is using the SMBus for something unknown to the OS, that might
prevent interrupts from being delivered.

Another possible conflict is the USB controller, if the BIOS is doing PS/2
keyboard emulation.

> This is a Red Hat 6.2 box running on a celeron 533 in a Tyan S2054 Tomcat
> i810 motherboard.  Has anybody seen this time out problem (happening on 2
> identical boxes)?  Sorry for the naivete...PnP disabled in BIOS and
> kernel, PCI enabled in kernel.  At first thought of an IRQ conflict (at
> 11), but could not change the nic's IRQ through BIOS (PCI).  Any help
> tips, etc. MUCH appreciated!

Try the LILO option "noapic".

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf-II Cluster Distribution
Annapolis MD 21403