[tulip] Netgear FA310TX rev D2 NIC

Eric Thelin eric@thelin.org
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:48:34 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Donald Becker wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Bruce Bales wrote:
> > I have a Netgear FA310TX rev D2 ethernet board with LC82C169C chip (not
> > LC82C168c).  Netgear says
> > board is based on DEC 21040 (tulip).
>
> No, it's a LiteOn chip that has a data transfer engine with Tulip-format
> descriptors, but the transceiver section isn't at all like the 21040.

I have this problem too where the card just seems to hang after heavy
use I have seen it on 100 BaseT Full Duplex, 100 BaseT Half Duplex.  I
just checked and I am using the same rev D2.  I also periodicly see
problems where the fastest transfers I can get between two identical
cards is about 150K/s.  And that is on a 100Mb switch running full
duplex.  If the original thoughts about the problem being in the
trancever detection would it solve or even improve the situation to
force the media type to MII 100baseFx-FDX or something like that?  I
haven't tried the .92 version of the driver yet.  I was trying to just
copy the file over the .91 version in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/ but
then my kernel wouldn't compile.  I am going to try using it as a module
and see if that makes any difference.  I am using 2.2.16 by the way.
Any ideas?

I have also heard that the tulip drivers are no longer as well supported
as others.  Is there any truth to this?  Is it just these Netgear cards?
Or is this just a bug in an active project and nothing to be concerned
about once it is fixed?  I hope this is the case and someone can find a
solution soon as I have put these cards in almost every computer on my
network.

Eric

Eric Thelin                                          erict@aztechbiz.com
           AZtechBiz.com: Where Arizona Does Tech Business
               Voice: 480-377-6743   Fax: 480-377-6755