[tulip] Netgear FA310TX rev D2 NIC

Christopher Smith x@philstone.com
Tue, 08 Aug 2000 13:32:21 -0700

This problem likely has to do with the cable modem, and not the adaptor.
Frequently cable modems are locked on to the MAC address of a specific
adaptor. Alternatively, you need to restart the cable modem to get it to
change the MAC address which it's looking for.

If you still think the problem is with the software, I'd suggest trying to
get it working on a standard ethernet environment. If that works, then you
know the problem is with regards to using the cable modem.

--On Tuesday, August 08, 2000 3:07 PM -0500 Bruce Bales
<bbales@kscable.com> wrote:

> I'm new to Linux.  Can't find any messages with my problem
>
> I have a Netgear FA310TX rev D2 ethernet board with LC82C169C chip (not
> LC82C168c).  Netgear says
> board is based on DEC 21040 (tulip).  Also have an ISA NE2000 card in
> same machine.  Running Mandrake 7.1  ISA board sets up fine with cable
> modem.  Switch cable to Netgear PCI board and change configuration to
> DHCP for it and Linux looks at it for 60 seconds (Bringing up eth0) then
> says OK.  But it didn't DHCP an address. And won't ping except
> 127.0.0.1.

--Chris