Can't get 21142 ethernet card to work in Micron Transport Docking station

Ed Troy etroy@aeroconsult.com
Sat Oct 23 11:08:39 1999

I have a Micron Transport XKE with a docking station. I recently loaded
Redhat 6.0, and it works fine, except I can't get the external monitor to
work with xwindows, and, more pertinent to this list, I can't connect to my
network. Everything works fine under Windows 95, so I know the connections
and hardware is good. (I mentioned the video situation because I saw,
somewhere on one of the newsgroups, something about an interaction between
the ethernet and the external monitor under Xwindows, so the problems may
be related.)

The light on my hub does not light, under Linux. The card was automatically
recognized when I installed the software, and said the tulip driver would
be installed.

If I do a dmesg | more, there is reference to the tulip driver and eth0,
but it also says there is no EEPROM, so the card may not work. That is
probably where my problem lies, but, like I said, it all works fine under
Windows 95, so I know the card is good. I've seen other posts mentioning
this problem, but no follow-ups.

If I check /etc/conf.modules, I do see alias eth0 tulip, like I should.
(That is the only line referring to the eth0 or tulip card. There are no
options, but my understanding is that you don't need them for this chip set.)

Somewhere else, it also says the chip set is a dec21142, rev 48.

Does anyone know what the problem is, or what the fix is?

TIA,
Ed

****
Ed Troy
Aerospace Consulting (215) 345-7184    (215) 345-1309 (fax)
<http://www.aeroconsult.com>http://www.aeroconsult.com

RF, Microwave, Analog and DSP design and development. Synthesizers, Antennas,
Transmitters, Receivers, Proposal Assistance, Circuit Board Layout,
Amplifiers, Simulation, Analysis, Technology Evaluation, GPS Applications