Boot hang with *second* LNE100TX

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Oct 3 22:46:51 1999

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Michael Kleber wrote:

> I've been using one LNE100TX (with the tulip v0.91 driver) quite
> happily -- ahh, DSL is nice.  Then I added a second identical card,
> and inside of a day I had networked my other computer, enabled IP
> masquerading, and all was right with the world.
>
> The problem comes when I need to reboot.  The second time I booted the
> machine, there's a long pause (maybe 3 seconds?) after it scans card
> #2, and the third time, the boot hangs, with lots of disk access.
> Last lines in the kernel ring buffer are
>
>   tulip.c:v0.91 4/14/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
>   eth0: Lite-On PNIC-II rev 37 at 0xe400, 00:A0:CC:33:FE:D7, IRQ 11.
>   eth1: Lite-On PNIC-II rev 37 at 0xe800, 00:A0:CC:36:D4:00, IRQ 9.

Look for the next thing probed for *after* the Tulip driver...

BTW, you probably want to use a more recent driver than v0.91 with the
PNIC-2.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html