Boot hang with *second* LNE100TX

Michael Kleber kleber@math.mit.edu
Sun Oct 3 21:26:52 1999

I've been using one LNE100TX (with the tulip v0.91 driver) quite
happily -- ahh, DSL is nice.  Then I added a second identical card,
and inside of a day I had networked my other computer, enabled IP
masquerading, and all was right with the world.

The problem comes when I need to reboot.  The second time I booted the
machine, there's a long pause (maybe 3 seconds?) after it scans card
#2, and the third time, the boot hangs, with lots of disk access.
Last lines in the kernel ring buffer are

  tulip.c:v0.91 4/14/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
  eth0: Lite-On PNIC-II rev 37 at 0xe400, 00:A0:CC:33:FE:D7, IRQ 11.
  eth1: Lite-On PNIC-II rev 37 at 0xe800, 00:A0:CC:36:D4:00, IRQ 9.

My best guess is that something is leaving the card in a bad state;
warm rebooting into Win98 and then back to Linux seems to reset to the
"long pause" status.

Any ideas?

--Michael Kleber
  kleber@math.mit.edu