Trouble Compiling - Mandrake 6.1

Ted Ballou eballou@lucent.com
Mon Nov 1 08:31:41 1999

Torrey -

I am not yet a LINUX tulip user, am just monitoring this mailing list
for info about 21145 (on my daughter's eOne).  However I looked at
your question, checked line 101 of the tulip.c file, and see that

#if !defined(__OPTIMIZE__)  ||  !defined(__KERNEL__)
#warning  You must compile this file with the correct options!
#warning  See the last lines of the source file.
#error You must compile this driver with "-O".
#endif

is your error message.  Trying to compile just with "gcc tuilp.c"
gives the same error you report.  Looking at the "last lines of the
source file" I see the comment

 *  compile-command: "gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c
 tulip.c `[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`"

This command,

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`

(all on one line) does compile fine.  Is this one of the ones you
tried?

On another subject, I am having trouble with Mandrake 6.0 getting PPP
to function: seems to connect fine, then dies with

LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Did you find any special tricks to get it to work?  I have ordered the
Mandrake 6.1 disc, maybe there's something missing in the 6.0 release.

Regards, Ted Ballou