Recommendations

Greg Kettmann Greg@Kettmann.com
Sun May 9 22:18:49 1999

I posted to the comp.os.linux.networking but the results were limited.
I'm a consultant and I'd really like to start using more Linux for
Firewalls.  Unfortunately it's a bit tricky getting it set up.  For my
latest project I was forced to buy Ethernet cards locally (at Best
Buy).  I figured 3-Com would be a good bet but there was no Linux
support for their particular card.  As such I got the LinkSys card built
on the Tulip driver.  It (one) installed and ran perfectly.

The facts:
Red Hat 5.2  (Since I needed to recompile anyway for firewall support I
upgraded to 2.2.6)
Kernel 2.2.6
Tulip 0.89H

When I installed the second adapter everything looked good but it's not
working properly.  IFCONFIG shows everything normally.  However only one
adapter is being used (proven by disconnecting cables).  I've tried
various options in the conf.modules and the lilo.conf files.  I've yet
to get both adapters to be seen.  If I remove the 'first' or working
adapter the other adapter works fine.  I'm at a loss as to what to try
next.

1)  What do you suggest for lilo.conf and conf.modules?

2)  If that doesn't work and recommendations on the next step?  The
choices are:
	A) Dropping back to RH 5.2 without the upgrade to 2.2.6?
	B) Using the latest .91 Tulip drivers
	C) Switching one of the adapters (I've another running (production)
firewall.  I could use one of it's adapters (NE2000) but I'm worried
about the impact to the production machine.  Do I have to compile in
Tulip support?)

Thanks for any help.  Greg@Kettmann.com