broadcast recieve problem with FA310TX and RH 5.2

Anthony Rumble smilie@emusys.com.au
Mon Mar 29 15:54:36 1999

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, W Christopher Martin wrote:

> Anthony Rumble writes:
> > Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:35:46 +1100 (EST)
> > To: linux-tulip@beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov
> > cc: support@netgear.matrixx.net
> > Subject: broadcast recieve problem with FA310TX and RH 5.2
> > I have tried both the stock 2.0.36 tulip.c driver, as well as the Netgear
> > modified v0.89k tulip.c that comes on their driver disk..
> >
> > When the machine boots detects the card, configures it fine...
> >
> > But if I try pinging any hosts on my ethernet, nothing..
> >
> > Now.. I run tcpdump to see whats going on.. and suddenly it works.
>
> FWIW, you aren't the only one experiencing this problem.  We buy a lot
> of NetGear FA310TX cards and have seen this in a handful of machines
> so far.  There hasn't been any consistency about what motherboards
> fail or any other factor that we can determine.  We are running the
> v0.90q version of tulip.c.
>
> We'll continue to try to track this down and will post our results.

Well.. NetGear have lost my support.. I have been using them and
recommending them for quite a while now, but I had machines I had to build
and send off. NOW. And I can't live with this kind of problem!
I am now recommending and installing Intel 10/100 Nic's, as they work..
First time, every time.

---
Anthony Rumble
EMUSYS Unix Consulting www.emusys.com.au Phone: 0500 500 EMU
Direct 02-9798-7604 Mobile 0412-955-042  Fax 02 9798 2854