SVEC FD1002-TX

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 24 18:31:08 1999

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Kenji Yasaka wrote:

> From: Donald Becker <becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov>
> becker> Hmmm, empty EEPROM.
> becker> What does the driver detection message say?
>
> looks like this:
> ---
> tulip.c:v0.90q 2/23/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
> eth0: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 65 at 0xe400, EEPROM not present, 00:4C:69:6E:75:79, IRQ 0.

Ouch!  Two problems:
   Your EEPROM is erased or unreadable.
       Your temporary station address is now "Linux" !
       This will work only if you have the only broken machine on your
       network. Please don't leave it like this.
   Your card hasn't been assigned an IRQ by the PCI BIOS.
       Read "The Solutions" section in
          http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/irq-conflict.html

> eth0: Old style EEPROM with no media selection information.
> eth0:  MII transceiver #8 config 1000 status 782d advertising 05e1.

This part is good: the MII transceiver avoid a bunch of 21143-specific
problem that show up when you have a SYM (SYMbol mode) transceiver.

[[ Since so many EEPROM media tables were wrong, I put in code to search for
MII transceivers regardless of the EEPROM contents. ]]

> Do I have to set the EEPROM myself like written in
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip-drivers/tulip-media.html
> ? I have no idea how I can do it on my card...

No, but we have to figure out if your card has a blank EEPROM, or a new type
of EEPROM.   (I *really* hope that it's just blank.)

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html