Full Duplex Lights

Danilo Godec danci@kibla.org
Thu Jul 22 02:42:19 1999

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Jason Thomas wrote:

> we transferred a 40MB file using scp. which seems to transfer at about 1MB
> sec.  Shouldn't this be around 12MB sec, at 100Mbits.

Don't use scp for testing connection speed! scp encrypts data before it is
send and decrypts it when it is received - and that takes some tome even
on fast machines.

For testing the network speed there is a program called 'ttcp' which talks
directly to the network and doesn't even touch disks (as in my case, the
network is faster then disk access, that is important) and tells you what
your network really can do.

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/network/monitoring/ttcp/

     D.