DEC 21143 & tulip?

Theo Van Dinter felicity@kluge.net
Thu Jan 21 14:33:41 1999

I know this was discussed a little recently on the list, but I thought I'd
send a question/statement about my experiences with the 21143 chipset:

I have a bunch of systems using an UmaxLink-100TX PCI network card (using the
DEC 21143-PC chipset).  The de4x5 driver seems to work very well, there are no
known problems yet.

I replaced the card (for debugging purposes) with a Kingston KNE-100TX card
(DEC 21140 chipset), and switched to the 0.90 version of the tulip driver.
Things seem to come up fine, no problems noticed yet.

Thinking that the 21143 was a tulip chip, I tried booting another machine with
the 21143 card using the tulip driver.  It semi-worked, but a number of
net-based daemons didn't come up at bootup (automounter, ypbind, etc.)

Is the 21143 chipset only useful with the de4x5 driver, or is it really a
tulip chipset?  Right now, I'm content to have different kernels that I choose
when I boot with a certain card, but if I compile both the de4x5 and tulip
drivers into the kernel, the tulip driver kicks in first (with either network
card), and then causes problems with the 21143 card.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Careful. I know karate and a few other foreign words.