Accton Cheetah 10/100 PCI (EN1207D)

M.Brands shrike@charm.il.fontys.nl
Mon Feb 1 19:18:19 1999

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Peter Burns wrote:

> I don't think its a conflict. The card is not detected at boot.
> It shows up in /proc/pci though. Here's its entry.
>
>   Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
>     Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 16).
>       Vendor id=1113. Device id=1211.
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.
>   Latency=64.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
>       I/O at 0xe400.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe6000000.

Here's ours:

Bus  0, device  19, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: DEC DC21140 (rev 32).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 17.  Master Capable.
      Latency=32.  Min Gnt=20.Max Lat=40.
      I/O at 0x6500 [0x6501].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0001000 [0xe0001000].

Well, it seems to be a different card. I just looked op de vendor ID in de
Linix 2.2 kernel source (include/linux/pci.h). It seems SMC2 is the vendor
that goes with that ID. Also the, device ID identifies it as an 1211TX
card made by SMC. The 2.2 kernel at least recognizes this card. Just
checked the 2.0.36 source: it never heard of this card. I also checked the
2.1.126 source: same result.

> I tried out tulip-diag with the following results.

I've never tried these diag tools, so I'm afraid the output isn't telling
me much.

> #./tulip-diag -p 0xe400 -m
> tulip-diag.c:v1.06 9/18/98 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
>  ***WARNING***: No MII transceivers found!

The EN1207 we have also doesn't have a MII tranceiver. It uses some other,
cheaper tranceiver.

> >From what I can guess the card is not detected since it has a different
> vendor and device id.
>
> Hmmm ... While I was writing this I took a visit to Acctons home page at
> http://www.accton.com.tw and low and behold there's a linux driver
> for it just sitting there. I'll have to take it home and try it
> out. It wasn't on the disk that came with it.

I think they'll give you a copy of the tulip driver, but I could ofcourse
be wrong. They did point me to the right version when we were having
trouble with our Accton.

Maybe you could try booting from a diskette with a 2.2 kernel just to see
if it recognizes your card. I have a suitable kernel, if you don't feel
like upgrading to 2.2 right now. It could very well be that your card
isn't detected because the IDs are unknown. On the other hand, maybe
they've changed the chipset (although I doubt that).

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Mathijs