tulip driver: fixed for Tx hung error

Wolfgang Walter wolfgang.walter@stusta.mhn.de
Mon Dec 20 22:00:58 1999

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 08:01:52PM +0100, Tom Blauwendraat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is to all people (like Jeff Forbes and Jason Thomas) that get the
> Tx hung error when using a card with the D21143 chip on it. It's a
> problem i also experienced with the Compex FL100 network card that also
> has this chip. For a while, it works fine, but then after a short while
> the Tx hung errors appear and the card stops working. Then, if you
> execute "ifconfig eth0 down" to bring the card down, and you reconfigure
> the network, it works again, but still for only a short while until the
> errors reappear.

Please try 2.2.14pre16 (at least it's tulip.c). It has some changes
compared to 0.91g which should fix your problems - at least I would be
very glad if you could try it. The problem does not only exists for D21143.

The fix on http://www.suse.cz/development/tulip/ fixes only D21143. And it
still can have a tx-hang.

The change in 2.2.14pre16 tries a more generic way which should work for
other chips, too. It fixes two other bugs, too, by the way.

Stephen R. van den Berg (he posted here) tried to merge both approaches
so that for D21143 the INTR MITIGATION is used (as in
http://www.suse.cz/development/tulip/), otherwise the other one.

He hasn't, though, published a final version of his merge, probably because
he knew nobody who could test it.

So you may mail to Stephen R. van den Berg <srb@cuci.nl> and ask him if
he already has a merge.

Greetings,