The exact steps to set the card up in linux. (KMM79125C0KM)

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Dec 14 20:02:42 1999

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Thomas E. Dodd /CSDC wrote:

> To: NETGEAR Technical Support <netgear_support@baynetworks.com>
> Cc: becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov, linux-tulip@beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov,
>     linux-tulip-bug@beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov

Please don't send messages to both linux-tulip and linux-tulip-bug.

> I still have a large discrepency in the TX and RX speeds.
>
> I get 800 KB/s+ for FTP transfers in to the box, but
> only 80 KB/s for FTP transfers from the box.

This is a symptom of a duplex mismatch.

> I constantly get messages like this from the driver when loaded
> with debug enabled:
>
> kernel: eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers,
> status 7fff0200!

This is a another symptom of a duplex mismatch.  This message is specific to
the Tulip, which gets slightly confused with out-of-window collisions.

> This machine is connected to a Sun machines running Solaris 2.6
> through a ... router.

The router is likely misconfigured.  It should either negotiate duplex, or
stay at half duplex.

> I have tried your driver "tulip.c:v0.89K 8/8/98",
> the old kernel driver "tulip.c:v0.89H 5/23/98",
> the new kernel driver "tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99",
> and the new release driver "tulip.c:v0.91 4/14/99"
>
> all with the same results.

Because it's a user network configuration error...

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS,   becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov