Fwd: Re: Is there a BSD port of tulip.c

Ramkumar Vadivelu ramkumar_v@yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 18:32:14 1999

--0-1804289383-924215390=:12635

Note: forwarded message attached.

--0-1804289383-924215390=:12635

Date: Thu Apr 15 18:32:14 1999
From: Ramkumar Vadivelu <ramkumar_v@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Is there a BSD port of tulip.c
To: Donald Becker <becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov>

--- Donald Becker <becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Ramkumar Vadivelu wrote:
>
> > I am trying to debug a problem (Znyx card not
> coming
> > up in auto-neg mode) on FreeBSD. I found that
> tulip.c
> > (in Linux) is much more modular (and code base is
> half
> > the size of BSD's) and getting updated regularly
> > compared to if_de.c in FreeBSD.
>
> I've been working very hard over the years to make
> certain that tulip.c
> supports the most cards possible.  And it does take
> much more time than most
> people realize -- I've spent of my time over the
> past week
> working on releasing v0.91, and I still have about a
> dozen cards to test
> before I release it.

After seeing the tulip.c code (and the amount of card
it supports) I fully realize that you spend a lot of
time on it..

> > So, I am thinking of
> > doing a BSD port of tulip.c (need to evaluate
> whether
> > it can be done easily).. and I was curious to know
> > whether anyone else has this port already??? If
> yes,
> > can you pls provide pointers??
>
> You can do the port, but it would be a violation of
> the license to
> distribute the result.  I am not willing release the
> Tulip driver under a
> BSD-style license.

After I got your mail, I have dropped this idea.
Luckily I found the problem in the BSD driver (it was
using a wrong (phy) address to access the phy regs). I
found this out by installing a Znyx in a Linux box
with 0.89 tulip.c and I ran mii-diag and found the
correct phy location.

Thanks
Ramkumar