Is there a BSD port of tulip.c

Peter Svensson petersv@psv.nu
Wed Apr 14 20:09:37 1999

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Donald Becker wrote:

> No, read the license and check a legal text on copyright.
> Distributing a patch file is a violation of the copyright -- it's
> contributory infringement.

I am still not clear on this - which part of the gpl would prohibit me
from modifying the source and distributing a modified source? I can
incorporate a piece of a gpl:ed program (the tulip dirver part) into a
separate package containing only that part. In and of itself it will not
do anything useful, but the gpl does not mandate that what I distribute is
functional in any way. It is still covered by the gpl under §2b.

Anyone can under the gpl use gpl code in whatever way they want, including
linking it with proprietary code. It can, however, not be distributed
unless the whole package is under gpl. This is irellevant as the aggregate
is never distributed, only the gpl:ed driver.

This is the only interpretation I can arrive at from reading the gpl. I
personally don't really care one way or another, but I do want to
understand the situation. It is fascinating. :-)

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF