Intel-brand 21143 CardBus card

KOGAN_VADIM KOGAN_VADIM@student.smc.edu
Thu Apr 8 14:34:46 1999

>>   Now the problem (sorry, can't send from notebook now, so not many
logs).

>Yup, that's a common problem with network driver bug reports..
I have another card now, but I'm in college now and can't hook up to the
LAN.

>>   The card lives on TI 1220 PCI-to-CardBus.
>>   CIS is read Ok.
>>   I'm using tulip.c v.90z
>
>Darn.  I was going to claim that all is fixed with 90z.
In fact, I just got the card yesterday and spend several hours this night
playing w/ it. I guess there was nobody on this maillist w/ Intel before...

>>   a) the driver says it found "Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 48 at 0x400"
>
>That's a 21143-TC, not the newer -TD with the PCI burst (MWI) bug.
>
>>   b) it doesn't find EEPROM ("EEPROM not present").
>
>That's a problem.
>
>>   I dumped ee_data and got something like this:
>>   868000100 87000000 00000000 00000000
>>   c40000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
>
>What's the station address of the card?  (Hopefully it's printed
>somewhere.)
00:4C:69:6E:75:79, irq 3

btw, dump_cis shows
lan_node_id 00 a0 c9 bb 00 3a

But I'm not sure what that is. It'll take me some time to catch up w/ what's
going on in PCMCIA/CardBus world.

>I'm wondering if the EEPROM is mostly blank, except for the MAC address,
>or if the card is using a larger (8 bit address) EEPROM.
I don't see MAC address there, so it must be something else.

>BTW, you can use 'tulip-diag -p 0x400 -t 4' to help track down this
>problem.
>Normally you shouldn't use "-p <ioaddr>", but it's required for CardBus
>devices since they are not reported in /proc/pci.  The "-t 4" parameter >is
>new option that specifies the chip type, since we cannot read it from
>/proc/pci or /proc/bus/pci/*
Ghm, the one I have doesn't have -t argument ( I have v1.08 from 2/28/99).
And I can't find newer one... If you'll point me to the new diag, I'll run
it after next class ;-)

>>   c) tulip-diag doesn't find MII at all :-(
>
>That means we may need a valid EEPROM table to switch the transceiver on
>:-<

And how can we do that? (Look @ some other card's EEPROM?)

Vadim