Update on Sony Vaio w/DS21143

mbreuer@siac.com mbreuer@siac.com
Thu Apr 8 12:35:25 1999

OK... any suggestions?

Also... I've done a little research...(please excuse my ignorance... drivers are new to me).
1) Under Win98 & NT the 21143 works correctly using the generic Microsoft drivers.  I've examined the documentation available from
Intel & DEC and I'm wondering about whether using the autonegotiate settings for 10baseT defined on page D-2 of the Hardware
reference manual are actually used.  According to the book, the correct sequence to set autonegotiate is:

     CSR6<18>=0
     CSR13=0000H
     CSR14=3FFFFH
     CSR13=0001H

To be honest, I haven't had the time to fully analyze the manual or the code, but I don't see where this sequence is ever executed
for a 21143 w/ mii and 21142_timer.

2) After analyzing the SROM (using the 21x4 serial rom format v4.09 as reference), and after considering warnings regarding loss of
power to the docking station (from Sony) I believe that this device does not, in fact, have an MII port.  It *must* have a 10BaseT
half-duplex (device 0) and it *should* have a 10BaseT full-duplex (type 2) available.  If so, can this be forced in any way, shape
or form.  I've tried insmod tulip options=0 (and options=2) to no avail.  Theoretically, I *should* be able to override the SROM and
tell the driver via options (or by (re)defining appropriate table entries) and make this card work.  So far, I really don't have a
clue how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any further help.