Linksys PCI Card on Redhat 5.1

Robert G. Brown rgb@phy.duke.edu
Tue Oct 27 09:55:58 1998

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Cliff Kotnik wrote:

> I looking for suggestions on debugging a problem with
> a Linksys PNIC based 10/100 PCI card on Redhat 5.1
> with the 2.0.35 kernel.
>
> I downloaded the tulip driver ver 0.89H.  I also tried the
> tulip driver which came from Redhat (0.88).
>
> During boot the card is found as reported in dmesg:
> tulip.c:v0.89H 5/23/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
> eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC at 0x6100, 00 a0 cc 30 c7 10, IRQ 9.

Get 0.89K (or later). I've got a Linksys card that comes up with this
driver in 2.0.35.  It does a single reset at the beginning when it
figures out that it is on a hub and cannot run FD, then runs flawlessly.
I think that Don added some Linksys-specific fixes in the H->K
transition -- I too had difficulty with H that made me put the card on
the shelf until a few days ago, but it seems to work now with K.

> Any suggestions would be appreciated?

You other alternative is to get a true tulip card instead of the
Linksys, which I think is a tulip clone.  There are lots of them
available, some for as little as $30.  The system I'm working on has two
very generic $30 tulips in it and both interfaces work perfectly.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@phy.duke.edu