v0.90 driver now available for test

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 21 01:18:46 1998

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Stephen Mills wrote:

> Just thought Id say thanks for this new updated chipset Donald.
> Finally my Compex FL100TX 21143PD card works perfectly with 0.90 [at the
> moment :)] (.88K would 100% halt with aaic errors at boot)

Do you mean 'APIC'?  The 2.1.120 series kernel have unusably buggy APIC
(Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) code.  None of the
last few development kernels will run on all of the SMP machines we have at
CESDIS.  (Four different types of dual-P6 motherboards.)
DHCP and routing seem to be regularly broken as well.  The behavior of
adding a route when the interface is marked UP is particular troublesome.

For that reason I discount bug reports with recent kernels.

> This means I can use these Compex cards that we sell instead of buying the
> 3com cards which I see you also do the driver for which I do Linux installs
> :)
> I noticed the older driver .88H I believe would detect it as 21142/21143,
> but this new driver detects as 21143 straight off the mark and works fine at
> 10 and 100 speeds.

They both have the same PCI ID, but not many 21142 chips were made.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html