Network in 2.0.35 stops working(DEC DC21142) again

Loic Prylli Loic.Prylli@ens-lyon.fr
Mon Oct 19 06:12:18 1998

Dominik Weis writes:
 > On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Donald Becker wrote:
 >
 > > On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Dominik Weis wrote:
 > >
 > > > Subject: Network in 2.0.35 stops working(DEC DC21142) again
 > > >
 > > > Oct 17 14:51:02 math kernel: eth0: 21140 transmit timed out, status
 > > > f00980c7, SIA 000000c4 ffff0001 fffbff7f 8ff0c008, resetting...
 > >
 > > The status word 0xF00980C7 indicates that the chip is trying to raise an
 > > interrupt, and the interrupt handler isn't being run.  This is almost
 > > certainly a hardware or interrupt dispatch problem, unless some other
 > > error preceeded this one.
 > > [...]
 >
 > Does that mean that I should change the network card? What I don't
 > understand is that everything works fine except the network. I can log on
 > locally and do some work. We did not have the problem when the network was
 > working with 10Mb. After we went to 100Mb the problems started. Is it
 > possible that their is a problem in the kernel? I can change the network
 > card but it takes more than a week before the problem occurs again(The
 > last three times it took more than a week).

I recommend you try the patch contained in
http://www.linuxhq.com/lnxlists/linux-smp/lm_9810/msg00043.html
One possible consequences of the bug fixed, would be to have an
interrupt erroneously masked by the kernel, which looked like your
case according to Donald clarifications.

Loic