Any Workaround For Non-Standard SROM?

Don Gray dgray@empnet.com
Fri Nov 6 13:21:15 1998

I've been trying to get my Compex FL-100Tx PCI card to work w/ Linux for
a long, long time and just haven't had any success.  It has a DEC 21143
chip; the MII address is listed as '0' which I know is not supposed to
be correct.  I've tried forcing it to negotiate at 10baseT using both
'insmod tulip options=x' where x has been set to 0,9,11,12 (actually
I've tried it with every setting). I've also tried forcing it using
'tulip-diag -m -F 10baseTx' but still no go.  The card does get
recognized by the driver, it just doesn't work.  I set up the network
thusly:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

but I can't ping any of the other machines on my network.  The card
works in Windows, but it won't do squat in Linux.  I hate it.  I want to
blow it up.  R-E-A-L-L-L-Y bad.  Can anybody help me? I'm using RH 5.1
and the latest tulip driver v.90.

Is there some way to get the EEPROM contents in Windows then force the
Linux driver to use them?  How would I go about this?

I'll post any relevant diagnostic info if you want.  Thank you for
listening to my ranting.

Don Gray