LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card

David Rose drose@wdi.disney.com
Thu Nov 5 14:13:18 1998

Donald Becker writes:
> This code is invoked when the interrupt line is constantly set.
>
> It indicates that some other device is raising an interrupt.  There is not
> way to clear it unless you know what that device is.
>
> This (obviously!) should never happen.  I put this code in for old 486 PCI
> motherboards that had jumpered IRQ mapping, where a user might have an ISA
> and PCI device sharing the same interrupt.

Egad.  I'm such a chowderhead.

I spent half an hour pulling boards out of my machine before I
remembered I'd disabled the OS Plug-and-Play support through the BIOS.
(I'd had to do this some time back because of a limited SCSI driver
that couldn't tolerate the card's IRQ moving around from time to time.
I've now found a better workaround, by disabling Plug-and-Play just on
the SCSI card.)

When I turned Plug-and-Play back on, the card came up on IRQ 3 this
time, and works like a champ.  (I haven't measured the performance
yet, but here I am talking through it at least.)

Perhaps it's worthwhile to keep this old code in the driver--with a
diagnostic warning about conflicting IRQ's--if only to alert the
occasional foolish user like me?

I do still get this:

eth0: The transmitter stopped!  CSR5 is 2678016, CSR6 816e2002.

shortly after initialization; should I be concerned?

> This message means that the pattern in /proc/pci couldn't be matched.
>   (Grrr, /proc/pci was badly designed.)
> Which kernel version are you running?

2.1.123.  Here's what /proc/pci has to say about the card:

  Bus  0, device  15, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: LiteOn LNE100TX (rev 32).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 3.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      I/O at 0xf800 [0xf801].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfedffc00 [0xfedffc00].

> > Nov  5 00:46:47 eros kernel: eth1:  MII transceiver #1 config 3100 status 7809 advertising 01e1.
>
> BTW, you don't have link beat.  But that's not the problem

What does that mean?  Is it something I should deal with now?

Many thanks!
David