SMP+Tulip lockup, 2.0.36pre15, help requested

Jon Lewis jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net
Thu Nov 5 03:17:10 1998

On 4 Nov 1998, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

>  patl> Perhaps relevant, perhaps not: The SCSI controller and the Netgear
>  patl> card are sharing IRQ 10.
>
>  kaz> That's crazy! Why do you do that?
>
> The BIOS assigned it that way "automatically".  We have not observed
> any performance impact, but we have not benchmarked it, either; would
> you expect this to make a noticeable difference?

He probably asks because most of the Linux SCSI drivers will not share an
IRQ with a network card unless you hack the source.  What SCSI card do you
have...one of the aic7xxx family?  I think that's the only one that plays
nice with network cards sharing the same IRQ.

---dont't waste your cpu, crack rc5...www.distributed.net team enzo---
 Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  to get the job done.
______http://inorganic5.fdt.net/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key________