Accton 1207BTX1 link renegotiation failure [More info]

Petri Mattila petri@prihateam.fi
Wed Nov 4 13:17:45 1998

More info:

>Accton EN1207B-TX1 nic, ie. if I disconnect and then reconnect
>the RJ45 cable, the link won't come back. Only booting the machine
>helps.

This happens only if there is activity. If the link is idle, disconnecting
won't affect autonegotiation. Also, reloading the module helps,
but "ifconfig down; ifconfig up" does not.

>With the second nic (eth1) renegotiation works just fine.

This turned out to be plain bullshit. Every Accton has
the same problem. Only activity counts.

I tried this at least with kernel versions 2.0.34, 2.0.35, 2.1.125,
with same results.

If my memory serves me correctly, D-Link DFE500TX has
Level One transceiver, but of different type. It works,
as does some older D-Links with NatSem transceiver.

I tried to figure out what is happening with tulip-diag,
and as far as I understood the MII register dump,
the transceiver got stuck with autonegotiation-process-complete
bit unset. I can mail the whole dump, if it helps.

Thanks,

-- Petri