Point-to-point networking

David R. Kohel kohel@math.nus.edu.sg
Wed Nov 4 08:58:31 1998

Thanks to suggestions from this list I now have a 3Com ISA
and LinkSys PCI card working in one box.  It is currently
networked through a central hub, and either card works.

After this initial success, I tried to hook up to a RedHat
DEC Alpha with built-in ethernet card.  I thought I could
just plug the two together with twisted pair cable.
Susequently I thought that I had been naive, that I needed
a hub between the two.  I admit am a network newbie, but can
read HOWTO's.  On this point I didn't find any clear information.
The LinkSys card's manual says it is not advisable to connect
two "PC's" together without a hub, as the connection might
be "unstable".

After failing to get PLIP working (I've used this to connect
to my laptop for some time and never had a problem before),
I just spoke to someone in a computer shop who told me that
yes, with dual ethernet cards I can just daisy-chain the
computers without a hub.  Is this correct?

I might mention that when I plug the LinkSys card into the
hub, the green light goes on, but connecting to the DEC,
it stays off :-).  [ The other points don't have nice red
and green lights. ]

Everything: IP addresses, ifconfig, routing, looks fine, but
I don't have a link between these machines.  Setting the
appropriate IP address, I can plug either into the central
hub but have only one line.  Suggestions?

--David