21143 updates, and Re: large number of TX packets on ftp (fwd)

david david@kalifornia.com
Thu Jul 30 00:20:22 1998

(too fast on the trigger first time)

Reply to mail from Peter Stein about 21143 updates, and Re: large number of TX packets on ftp
> Clearly a hint that things are different on our systems. Your versions
> look much newer and I suspect in your distribution this problem was
> fixed. My code base is RedHat 4.2 upgraded from 4.1 and I assumed all
> the code is fairly current, but apparently this is not the case. Which
> distribution did your mem.c come from?

this is not a distribution issue, it comes from the kernel source. ;)

linux/drivers/char/mem.c:

static ssize_t read_null(struct file * file, char * buf,
                         size_t count, loff_t *ppos)
{
        return 0;
}

static ssize_t write_null(struct file * file, const char * buf,
                          size_t count, loff_t *ppos)
{
        return count;
}

you can "fix" this by upgrading your kernel.  the above comes from
2.1.112.  if you have stuff from rh4.2, you are seriously outdated.  i do
recommend you upgrade soonest as you are likely susceptible to masses of
exploits.

-d
--
Look, look, see Windows 98.  Buy, lemmings, buy!
(c) 1998 David Ford.  Redistribution via the Microsoft Network is prohibited.

Caution: all email sent to this domain is automatically added to mine and
         a growing network of blacklist using providers.  don't spam me!
         instead, reverse this and email me [com dot kalifornia at david]
         (local users enjoy automatic rewrites)