Slow transfer with 21140 card

Chance Reschke reschke@astro.washington.edu
Thu Jul 23 16:55:33 1998

> (Charles Spurgeon's MARVELOUS ethernet site) and didn't find anything
> that prohibits hubs from being full duplex, BUT "switches are
> described in chapter 15" and unfortunately the website only goes
> through 14:-(  Guess I'll have to buy the book...
>
>    rgb
>
> BTW, this website is THE online reference for ethernet for all of you
> who really want to learn about MII and N-way and autonegotiation and
> collision domains and how to actually CALCULATE whether or not your
> network layout will work from first principles...

Hubs can not be full-duplex.  The resource you site should have
described the CSMACD protocol used by ethernet.  It should have also
defined hubs as connecting circuits within a single collision domain.
Given the media access protocol and the definition of a collision
domain, it is impossible for a hub to support full-duplex operation:
A host must wait until no one else is transmitting before attempting
to transmit itself.  No full duplex.

 - Chance