21143 vs. 21140 (Was: Linux 2.1.107, bootp and Miatas)

Scott Karlin skarlin@sarnoff.com
Wed Jul 8 09:17:12 1998

I am trying to choose between two different 100Base-TX Ethernet
boards in a specialized Linux based (2.0.32) environment.

The main difference between the boards is that one uses a 21140
and the other uses a 21143.  (Note that these are PCI boards
in the mezzanine form factor; suggestions to get specific PCI
cards in the regular form factor won't help me in this particular
situation.)

I was planning on using the 21143 based board until I saw this
recent post to linux-tulip:

Tramm Hudson wrote:

> Tulip folks,

> We were running Linux 2.0.34 with Tulip 0.83 and have not
> had any problems with the network drivers under that
> configuration.
>
> I'm working to upgrade the system to Linux 2.1.x ...
>
> The latest driver (0.89H) does not send any packets on the wire
> when ...
>
> Since we have had problems with the 21143 chips before, I went
> ahead and downgraded the driver to 0.83.

Can Tramm or anyone else elaborate on 21143 problems?

We will be running switched 100Base-TX only and won't need any
of the bells and whistles of the 21143.

Lastly, the company making the 21143 has specifically offered some
assistance in helping us get the board working under Linux.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott C. Karlin                      E-mail: skarlin@sarnoff.com
Sarnoff Corporation                     FAX: (609) 734-2049
CN5300                                Voice: (609) 734-2444
Princeton, NJ 08543                          (Sorry, no voice mail.)