[scyld-users] NASTRAN: Compute Node question

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Wed Oct 10 13:26:32 PDT 2007

> Hello:
>
> We are trying to run NASTRAN on a Scyld beowulf cluster. The license
> authorization is provided by a Windows server on the same subnet.
>
> - No problem if the job runs on the master node. Problem is I can only
> run it on the master node...

Ah! Stop right there. You'll need to enable IP forwarding on the compute
nodes, so that the compute nodes reach can reach the license server
through the headnode.

If you are running Scyld 29cz-5 or later you can easily enable this by
uncommenting the line in /etc/beowulf/config that reads:

#ipforward yes

so that it reads:

ipforward yes

Then, you'll need to quickly reboot the compute nodes and restart the
"beowulf" service. It is important that the next two commands be run in
quick succession. The first command reboots the nodes, the second,
restarts the beowulf service. Be sure to restart the beowulf service
before any of the nodes have come up.

# bpctl -S all -R
# /etc/init.d/beowulf restart

You'll know it worked correctly, because at the end of the restart
message you will see a line that says something like ""Setting up IP
Forwarding:"

-Joshua Bernstein
Software Engineer
Penguin Computing